The Un-Common Theatre Company takes the safety of its participants very seriously. The Un-Common Theatre Company is a safe space for actors of all genders, races, backgrounds and beliefs to be treated with respect so they can contribute fully and have equal opportunities. Bullying of any kind will not be tolerated. Any student found bullying, speaking inappropriately, speaking down to people, posting about others on social media in an inappropriate manner or treating others with disrespect will be reprimanded with the possibility of being removed from the show, regardless of their role in the show. Our safety policies and procedures are put in place in an effort to promote a safe and secure environment for all of our participants.
Drop off and Pick up:
- Children are never to be dropped off and left alone at a rehearsal space. Parents must be sure before leaving their children that there are at least two additional people at the space (one of them being an adult).
- All cast members in 6thgrade and lower will not be permitted to walk outside to a waiting car when rehearsal lets out; parents MUST come inside to pick up their child/children.
- Older children can meet their parents/ride in the parking lot. If their ride is not there, they must come back inside and wait with an adult. At no time are cast members of any age allowed to wait outside unsupervised.
Coverage during a rehearsal:
- At all times there must be a minimum of three people together during a rehearsal. For example, if the music director wants to work with a child in the hall, an adult or another student must also be present. At no time is there to be two people working together unattended.
- All of our parents and/or adult volunteers (18+) with direct access to children will be required to consent to a CORI background check. This includes any volunteers working in the Greenroom, with Make-Up/Costumes, Backstage, Props, Un-Common staff as well as the orchestra members and contract laborers.
- Theatre can be an interactive art. While many scenes require physical interaction, we will not ask anyone to perform any scene that they are not comfortable with. It is up to the actor to speak up to any adult in charge to share any reservations they may have.
- Touching, hair playing, sitting on laps and any other form of physical interaction while not performing on stage is prohibited.